Fish & Scallop Chowder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Dutton Goldfield Chardonnay
- 3 large Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 cups clam juice or fish stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsps kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb cod fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 12 ozs bay scallops
- 2 cups heavy cream
Quick and easy fish & scallop chowder made with cod, bay scallops, gold potatoes and cream is a stunning pairing for our Dutton Ranch Chardonnay with its equally matched richness.
- Heat oil and butter in the bottom of a large pot on medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and raise the heat to medium-high. Cook, uncovered, until the wine reduces by half.
- Add the potatoes, clam juice or stock, bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. (The potatoes should barely be covered by the liquid. If not, add a little water.)
- Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat to medium and cook, covered, until the potatoes are almost done, about 10 minutes.
- In a separate pot, warm the heavy cream. Do not let it boil, just heat.
- Add the fish and the scallops to the pot of potatoes. Pour in the heated cream. Cook on low heat, uncovered, until the fish is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Serve in bowls paired with a big glass of Dutton-Goldfield Dutton Ranch Chardonnay.