Creamy Spring Vegetable Lemon Risotto
March 20, 2019
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and sliced into 1" pieces
- 1 lg leek, light green & white parts, halved & sliced thinly into half moons
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb fava beans, shelled and cooked
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan plus more for serving
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Place the stock and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and continue to simmer.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the asparagus and saute until crisp tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the leek and saute 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds longer. Add the arborio rice and toast in the pan, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add the white wine to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook the wine until it has reduced by half, about 2 minutes, then add 1 cup of the warm stock mixture. Stir the risotto occasionally, and repeat adding another cup of the stock mixture when the liquid has almost been absorbed. When the last cup of stock as almost been absorbed, stir in the asparagus and fava beans or peas to heat through. Once the liquid has been absorbed and the risotto is tender, remove from heat and add the lemon zest, juice, parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!