Black Sesame Crusted Seared Tuna with Arugula and Avocado Salad and Miso Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsps red miso paste
- 2 tbsps rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Asian (or toasted) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb Ahi tuna fillet, 1-inch thick
- 1/4 cup black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsps canola oil (or other oil suitable for frying)
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 6 handfuls arugula leaves
To make the miso vinaigrette, whisk the miso, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, scallions, ginger, with the ¼ teaspoon (1.25ml) salt, and ¼ teaspoon (1.25ml) black pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
In another small bowl, combine the sesame seeds with the 1 teaspoon (5ml) salt and 1 teaspoon (5ml) pepper. Coat both sides of the tuna with the sesame seed mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
Heat the canola oil in a medium, heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat until it is very hot, but not smoking. Sear the tuna for 1 minute on each side for rare, 2 minutes on each side for medium rare. Transfer the tuna to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
Slice the tuna across the grain into ½ inch strips. Slice each avocado half lengthwise into 5 equal wedges. In a large bowl, toss the arugula with desired amount of miso vinaigrette and divide among 4 plates.
Arrange the avocado and tuna slices on top, and then serve.